Buying a new car can be prohibitively expensive, and as new models keep getting more reliable year after year, buying used continues to be an excellent option. Still, you never quite know what you’re doing to get, and it pays off to know what to look for when buying a used car.
- Check the exterior and interior. The condition of the car will play a large role in determining its value. Check for exterior repairs and inspect the interior upholstery. Don’t be deterred if the car has gotten into a minor fender bender, but expect trouble down the road if you find dirty or rusted parts.
- Check the tires. How tires wear can tell you a lot about the condition of the car. Look for feathering on the tire surface, which is sign of poor alignment and can be caused by worn steering and suspension components.
- Look under the hood. There are many things to look for there, but a few that should have top priority. Check that there is foam residue on the oil filler cap and no dark brown oil stains on the engine block. Either of these will lead to major repair bills in the future.
- Test the features. If having functioning lights, air conditioning, music playback, parking sensors, and a backup camera all matter to you, test them. Having to fix one or two items may be acceptable, but the cost of fixing a host of minor issues really adds up.
- Test drive it. Arguably the best way to know the condition of a car is to test drive it. Listen for unusual sounds, such as clunks when turning, and give the
One of the best ways to buy used is to shop at E-Z Way Auto Sales, whose business depends on selling only high-quality used cars. Test drive one today!